Sunday, September 27, 2009

Atlantic City, NJ

So it turns out it was probably for the best that I stayed in a hotel last night. For one thing, the rain showers the forecasters kept promising finally arrived in the wee hours of the morning. There were puddles in the parking lot when I woke up. Second thing, I coughed my way through most of the night. I tried to blame it on the smoking room but it really wasn't smokey in there at all.

When I woke up I was still coughing and stuffed up. Bad sign but I wasn't too worried. I was still attempting to blame everything on allergies.

I went out to breakfast at a local diner that wasn't nearly as good as I'd hoped based on what I'd read about it. I got on the road, but it was pouring rain and I was still feeling really stuffed up so I was just focused on making distance. Just a few miles from Atlantic City (which is not that far from where I started this morning) I started to get a pounding headache. Not long after that I had to pull over I was feeling so bad. I stopped in the first parking lot I saw, which happened to be a Home Depot. I put my feet across the other seat, which turned out to be quite comfortable and I nearly fell asleep (after banging my already hurting head against the window...ouch!).

After resting for a bit, I decided to hunt down a drug store and get some meds, and then make a decision on what to do from there. By this time I was having really terrible sinus pressure, and my head felt like a bowling ball. Turning my head enough to look behind me was enough to make me dizzy.

I have never been happier to see a Rite Aid. Thankfully it was only a few minutes past where I'd stopped. I got some Tylenol sinus, and then went to find somewhere for lunch. I wasn't feeling much like driving, but to make things more complicated this was pretty much my last opportunity to get a hotel. Anywhere south of here I would have to camp. And, just a little bit farther down the coast, I'll be getting on a ferry. Since my sinuses were creating their own boat ride feeling in my head, I figured getting on a boat today is probably not the best option. Camping wouldn't have been too big of a deal, but there was a cheap hotel room right here so I went for it.

It's a good thing I did because on my short drive to lunch I started feeling much worse, and my head was so stuffed that just focusing on the road was making me feel dizzy and sick to my stomach. I skipped lunch and went straight to the hotel, hoping I wouldn't puke before I got there. Thankfully, by the time I got my hotel room the meds had started to kick in and I was feeling better. Now I'm feeling less crappy, but still not great. It's not bad unless I stand up or move or do anything else. Yeah....fun. Here's hoping for a MUCH better day tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you're feeling so awful. I'm really glad you found a drug store and a hotel, though. I guess the only other thing I can say is ((((hugs)))). And I hope you're feeling markedly better tomorrow, too.

    ReplyDelete