Sunday, September 6, 2009

As Usual...

As usual, I managed to post a ridiculously long post and forget one of the main things I wanted to say. So here's the add on:

Martha's Vineyard is very very proud of their visit from the Obamas. Nearly every storefront had a picture of the official "Obama's visit" sign. Most stores had t-shirts commemorating the occaison...the main one saying "I vacationed with Barack Obama; Cape Cod 2009," which apparently I'm too literal to get. There was one I liked with a picture of their new dog that said "Bobama" in big letters across it and then "the new dog in town" on the back. Some stores had entire shelves and displays dedicated to Obama related stuff. It was so strange walking down the street in the midst of Obama-mania. I started having flashbacks to being in Denver during the convention, but back then everything said "for president." Now it all just says president. It almost got me teary eyed to think that it really happened. The good guys actually won. I think it still hasn't fully set in yet for me!

Judging by all the ridiculous news out there right now (i.e. people freaking out about him talking to school kids) we've still got a looooooong ways to go, but it was a fun reminder of the progress that has happened!

1 comment:

  1. "It almost got me teary eyed to think that it really happened. The good guys actually won. I think it still hasn't fully set in yet for me!

    Judging by all the ridiculous news out there right now (i.e. people freaking out about him talking to school kids) we've still got a looooooong ways to go, but it was a fun reminder of the progress that has happened! "

    That's a really good thing to remember. Everything seems so uphill right now; I know I lose sight of how much GOOD has happened, how, for the first time in a long time, there is some hope that things will change for the better. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete