Sunday, October 11, 2009

Waterford, MI

My weekend in Chicago was awesome. It was soooo great to see people from my Americorps team again. It was like visiting family. For a brief moment I worried about the clothes I'd planned to bring being dirty and all that, but I realized that more than just about anyone, my team had seen me at my worst. I didn't have to worry about making an impression anymore. It's nice to have friends like that.

It was immediately great to see everyone and it felt just like old times. We had a great weekend. We spent saturday visiting a cool little free zoo, and wandering around some of the fun touristy areas. I was really impressed with what a nice place Chicago is. It seems that the only time it makes the news these days is for issues with violence, people getting beat up on the streets, etc. So even though I knew there was a lot more to the city than that, that was the image I had coming in. Turns out, at least for the areas we went to, it was really nice and a lot of fun. That said, Andrea, whose house we were staying at, works at an elementary school with no recess because it's too dangerous to allow the kids outside. So I guess there's a bit of both. More nice though. We were there on marathon weekend too, which was cool to see. What a HUGE event! I'm still considering doing a marathon someday, but I can't decide if an event that huge would be cool and inspiring or just plain obnoxious. I'd like to be surrounded by that many runners, but I don't generally like races with big crowds. But I've got PLENTY of time to think about any of that....I gotta get some training in before I start to consider events.

But anyway...the funny thing is that it was freezing there today! Remember the Chicago marathon last year? Ending the race short because people were dying of heat stroke? Strange how different a year can be. But at least we got to see the sun. Yay! I don't care how cold it gets as long as I get to see the sun.

Well I guess I care a little, because I've temporarily lost my tennis shoes and i'm stuck with just sandals. We went out to a comedy event last night, and while the rest of my body was warm, my toes about froze on the walk there. The comedy event was a lot of fun...a little improv show at this tiny little theater. It was surprisingly funny. We then proceeded to get really, really drunk and wake Ryan (who had stayed home to sleep) to give him his cake and sing happy birthday. Lots of fun. Except maybe for Ryan...that's still up for debate.

This morning was a little tough to wake up, and driving hungover was less than fun, but I've finally made it to Jody's house. Yay! Tomorrow (shhhh don't tell her) I'll be kidnapping her and taking her to Denver with me. And there's nothing she can say to change my mind. Ha ha ha (evil laughter). She'll never see it coming! The perfect kidnapping.

But wait. Who's going to comment on my blog? Ack! I hadn't thought of that. Jody, I guess you'd better bring your computer after all. In that giant bag you're packing for this...ummm...surprise kidnapping operation.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the Great Post. Please feature this on the bizymoms Waterford community page. the mom's will love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good time in Chicago. Each time I've been there (which, granted, is about twice!), I've been impressed by how much there is to do and see there. Actually dragged my mom into the American Girl store, just to see what it was all about. Kind of creeped me out. Loved the Crate & Barrell, though. But, I'm not allowed to buy any more kitchen stuff. Probably ever! I'd never considered the fact that it doesn't have a great reputation for safety. But then again, I live not too far from Detroit, so that's not something I think much about. And, I guess I've always been in the more "upscale" areas of Chicago, so I've never really seen the other side. Can't speak to the marathon thing, though: for one, I don't do running. For two, I think I'd be really bothered by having so many people so close around me. Not a big fan of crowds.

    Yeah, it was a shockingly cold day. I think it got near the 20s during the night! Not ready for the cold weather myself. But yes, the sun can make a difference in how it feels outside, and now that you mention it, I think I did see a glimpse or two of it!

    Really? Wearing sandals when it's cold out? You're a stronger girl than I. I might've thrown fashion to the wind and worn socks with them. Terrible look, but functional.

    It was so great to have you at my pat. last night. Hope you liked the omelet I insisited on making for you. And the REAL egg muffin thing I made this morning. I CAN make more than eggs. Really, I can.

    And YAY! I'VE BEEN KIDNAPPED! I'm having an awesome time so far. And, yes, I did bring my computer; after all, I have a reputation to uphold!

    ReplyDelete