Monday, October 12, 2009

Sidney, OH

The kidnapping was successful. Yay! I now have an amazing copilot/navigator/drink finder/brownie maker (yes she made me brownies...she's knows me well!). Now I just have to work on being less greedy about doing all the map reading and planning.

We stayed up chatting until waaaaaay into the night, so this morning we were off to a slow start. To say the least. We both woke up relatively early, considering how late we went to bed, but neither of us had a whole lot of energy in moving towards leaving. (Or even starting leaving, mom).

Neither of us had much motivation....especially not me....so by the time we were up, showered, and were eating breakfast, it was just about lunch time. It took me a long time to clean out my car. As anyone who has seen me knows, it hasn't actually stayed in the organized way that it started. Since it's been just me for so long, I've really really really spread you. It's amazing just how spread out I can get in a small car! But now I have to not only keep the passenger seat open but also have enough room in the back for Jody's....larger than expected....bag.

But finally the car was (relatively) clean, and we were off. We stopped at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn....had to check out a bit of what my ancestors were all about. Or something like that. Of course there was a very limited showing of the Dodge brothers at the Henry Ford museum, but there were a few quick mentions. And it was still fun to see all the old cars. Plus they had cool old bikes, motorcycles, and a bunch of other random stuff.

We stayed there for a few hours and then got officially out on the road. Unfortunately, the amazing Ohio scenery did little to keep us awake and alert after our limited sleep, so driving was difficult. We stopped at a Waffle House for dinner, so Jody could experience the wonder of Waffle House. Of course, Waffle House in Ohio is not nearly as exciting as one in the South, but we'll take what we can get.

From there we drove through the all too empty Ohio interstate, getting increasingly punch drunk as we went, stopped at a moderately creepy hotel briefly, and then continued on to our current hotel. And now I think I'll sleep. These last few nights of very little sleep are definitely catching up with me!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, you're too sweet. I think -- no, I KNOW -- that it's the pilot who's amazing! And, it's very important to keep the pilot well-fed and hydrated, right? And "greedy" about map-reading & planning? Nah, I don't think so. I love that you want to do that. That's definitely not my forte, as I'm sure you're starting to see....

    Yeah, sorry about the duffle bag. Didn't seem so big when it was sitting on my bedroom floor. I'm thinking maybe it was a bad choice -- especially since I can't actually find the stuff that's in it, but that I know I packed. Kind of like a black hole...

    I liked the Waffle House. Could've been WARMER in there, but all in all, it was good. Maybe if we stop there again, I'll try WAFFLES! They smelled amazingly good.

    Yeah, Ohio is NOT an exciting place. Slower speed limits & speed traps. I've already worn out the "Careful, iI's OHIO" line. But then, Michiganders are well-schooled in the way of the Ohio state police.

    On further reflection, that first hotel was pretty creepy, . Reminded me of some scenes in movies where questionable things tend to happen. Glad we moved on to the one we're at now.

    Can't wait to see what we"re doing next!

    ReplyDelete