Friday, October 9, 2009

Chicago, IL

I made it! Yay! It's great to see my Americorps team again! Well, part of it anyway. We're having a lot of fun catching up and reminiscing about old times.

It took me many hours to get here from St. Louis. It was still pouring rain (I miss the sun!) and the idiot drivers were still out in full force. I saw a big wreck happen maybe 5-6 cars in front of me. Well, I didn't actually see it happen, just the very end of it. I debated if I should stop, but the guy 4 cars ahead of me stopped and the two cars behind him ran into him. So I figured I'd be better off just getting out of the way. The three cars in the wreck covered a lot of distance (two spun into the median and one off the other side) but everyone was getting out and walking around, and already on the phone to call it in. So I just decided I was glad I wasn't a few cars further ahead, or anywhere farther behind where i'm sure traffic was backing up like crazy as it blocked all but one lane.

The horrible Chicago traffic was a big pain, but not as bad as I'd expected after all I'd heard about it. Still though, what mapquest told me would take 5 hours took about 8.5. But I'm here now, and all is well. Tomorrow it sounds like we're heading to the zoo and to explore some other events around town. I may or may not blog.

One quick story before I go. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night (the AC stopped working in the hotel room and it was super hot!) and had no idea where I was. Not because I was disoriented, but because at this point everywhere is starting to run together and I couldn't remember for the life of me what town I had stopped in. I guess it's a good thing I'm nearly done travelling. Strangely enough, last night was the end of my solo road tripping. I hadn't realized it until the middle of the night, but this weekend I'll be with my Americorps team, and Sunday night I'm kidnapping a co-pilot to take back to Denver with me. But more on that later.

1 comment:

  1. It seems you've been seeing a lot of car wrecks lately; I'm glad you've been lucky enough not to have been too affected by them. Sounds like your timing of this one was just about right.

    Oh my goodness, it took 3 1/2 hours longer than you thought it would?? How incredibly frustrating that must've been. Was that all from traffic, or really a mis-guess by mapquest?

    The zoo sounds fun. There's so much to do in Chicago, and I like that it's a "walking" city. Can't do that around here. :( I hope you have good weather. We're supposed to have cool temps but sun...and then more rain next week. Not liking fall so much.

    I'm surprised you haven't awakened more confused about where you're waking up; you've been to so many places. Good thing you have this blog to look back at to keep track!.

    I'm sure that the co-pilot you're kidnapping is very excited. And you'll have someone who can help you drive!

    ReplyDelete